The Department of History at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for a pool of qualified temporary lecturers to teach a course (or courses) in History for the upcoming openings. The number of positions varies from quarter to quarter and may include Summer terms, depending on the needs of the department. Courses needed may include:
• Hist 2A, 2B, 2C: World History Survey,1700 CE to Present
• Hist 4B and 4C: European History/Western Civilization Survey, (1050-1715 CE; 1715 to Present)
• Hist 8: Latin America Survey (Summer especially)
• Hist 17A,B,C: The American People, (US survey, all Periods)
•Hist 177: California History
• Other survey courses listed in the UCSB catalog numbered 8 through 88: https://my.sa.ucsb.edu/catalog/Current/CollegesDepartments/ls-intro/hist.aspx?DeptTab=Courses
•Native American History Courses (Hist 179A,B,R)
•In exceptional circumstances we may also seek replacement instructors for upper-level courses (numbered 100 and above).
Interested candidates should submit:
• Cover letter that clearly indicates which course or courses they are qualified to teach
• Current CV
• Descriptions of proposed courses, and/or syllabi
• The names and telephone/email addresses of three professional references.
• Teaching evaluations, if available
• Contributions to Diversity Statement (optional)
Please note the dates of our regular academic year quarters and summer sessions A and B terms. See the academic calendars at https://registrar.sa.ucsb.edu/calendars/calendars-deadlines/academic-calendars/academic-calendar-menu.
Interested candidates should apply to the following link:
Screening of applicants is ongoing and will continue as needed. The posting will remain open until 10/31/2019 to accommodate department needs. The pool will close on October 31, 2019; if you would like to continue to be considered after that time, and the pooled position is advertised again, you will need to submit a new application.
Please note: The use of a lecturer pool does not guarantee that an open position exists at the time you are applying. See the review date specified in UC Recruit to learn whether the department is currently reviewing applications for an upcoming opening. If there is no future review date specified, your application may not be considered at this time.
The salary is based on UC’s salary scales and depends on qualifications. At a minimum, applicants must have completed all requirements for a PhD (or equivalent) in History or related field except the dissertation at the time of application. A PhD is required by time of appointment for all lower division courses. Candidates with a PhD and 1 year teaching experience are preferred. The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service.
Questions about the position may be directed to the Search Chair, Anthony Barbieri-Low, email@example.com. More information about the UCSB History Department may be found at our website, www.history.ucsb.edu.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.