UCSB Santa Barbara Department of History logo

Labor Minor FAQs

This page contains the answers to frequently asked questions surrounding the Labor Studies minor. For an in-depth guide to the minor requirements and important policies, click HERE

When should I take my area A course?

These courses are only offered once or twice per year, so please do not wait until your final quarters before graduation to take them. These courses are usually completed in the junior or senior year. 

What is HIST 167Q, and when should I take it?

History 167Q is the capstone and internship course for this minor. Students do not need to find their own internship in order to complete this course, but will be given a list of internships to apply to once they are enrolled. Students should take this course in their senior year, once they have completed area A, and at least 3 of their elective courses for the minor. Be sure to check the department course listings to see when the class will be offered (note: it is only offered once per year). This course is restricted to “instructor approval only” in order to enroll, so please reach out to the instructor directly for information on how to enroll. To view the course description, visit the UCSB general catalog. 

I’m attempting to enroll in courses that are outside the history department for the elective requirement, but some of the classes I want to take are restricted to majors only. What do I do?

Please contact the department advisor or the instructor of the course you are trying to add with any questions about enrollment. Unfortunately, the history department advisor cannot help you with enrolling in courses that are outside of the history department. 

How many classes can I have overlap between my major and minor?

With lower division courses, there is no limit to the amount of overlap allowed. In the upper division, only 5 units of overlap is allowed between your major and minor. 

I took lower division courses at a previous institution, can they count towards my minor?

If you took courses at a community college or another four year institution, they may be applicable to the labor studies minor requirements. If your courses were taken at a California Community College and already have an established equivalency on assist.org, then they will count towards the history minor. If your courses are from a four year school or an out-of-state institution, please submit the syllabus through our online petition form to be reviewed for credit. 

I took a lower division course before I ever planned to add this minor, but I took it as P/NP grading. Can it still count towards the history minor?

Using P/NP courses towards the labor studies minor is typically not permitted except in special circumstances. If you are in this situation, please contact the history department advisor