I am a PhD student studying the history of the Modern Middle East and late Ottoman Empire. My research focuses on modern Egypt, religious minorities in the Middle East, missions and global Christianity, and history of charity. Provisionally titled “The Gospel of Wealth: Charity and the Making of Ecumenical Elites in Egypt, 1879-1939,” my dissertation examines the development of faith-based charitable institutions in Egypt during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries with a focus on Coptic societies and organizations. I examine this theatre of charitable associations as a parallel space of cross-confessional activity during a period that also witnessed heightened sectarian conflict. I examine how these multi-confessional endeavors was made possible through shared notions of class, gender, and race among Egyptian elites into the mid twentieth century.
My research and language studies have been generously supported by the Department of Education’s Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship, the Yale Center for Race, Indigenous, and Transnational Migration Research Fellowship, and the UCSB Center for Middle East Studies.
In addition to my academic work, I’m also a freelance writer on religion and politics in the modern Middle East, U.S. foreign policy in the region, and American religion and politics. For more information about my research and work, an interview: https://thecchp.com/2020/03/29/interview-with-amy-fallas-philanthropic-solidarities/
“Researching Modern Egypt Online,” Hazine
“Orthodox Religion and Politics in Contemporary Eastern Europe,” Book Review, Journal for Religion, State and Society, Vol 49, 2020. Orthodox Religion and Politics in Contemporary Eastern Europe
“The Chaldeans: Politics and Identity in Iraq and the American Diaspora by Yasmeen Hanoosh,” Book Review, Arab Studies Journal, Vol. 28, No. 1, Spring 2020. The Chaldeans
“Ramy Kamel, Mada Masr, and Seeing Coptic Issues as Civil Liberties in Egypt,” Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy, December 2019.
“What the Taming of Christian Spaces Reveals about Egypt’s Security Complex,” Jadaliyya, November 2019.
“Researching Modern Coptic History: A Guide to the Archives in the US and Egypt,” Archives Review, Coptic Canadian History Project, August 2019.
“Interview with Author Massoud Hayoun,” Palestine Square, August 2019
“Religious Liberty Shouldn’t Come at the Expense of Human Rights,” Sojourners, July 2019
“El Salvador’s Bukele at Crossroads in Relations with Ancestral Land,” Palestine Square, June 2019
“U.S. Evangelicals Trivialize Global Religious Persecution,” Sojourners, May 2019.
“Between Christ and Caliph: Law, Marriage, and Christian Community in Early Islam,” Book Review, Reading Religion, March 2019.
“Assessing Coptic Reform Through the International Christian Student Movement,” Coptic Canadian History Project, October 2018.
“Syria’s Christians Reckon with Survival,” Sojourners, June 2018.
“Targeted Yet Faithful: Egypt’s Copts, Wary of Restrictions, Celebrate Virgin Mary Feast,” Sojourners, October 2017.
“From the Cedars to the Frontlines: Danbury’s Greater Syrian Immigrants and the Great War,” Connecticut History Review Journal, 55 (2) (Fall 2016), 140-152.
“The Armenian-Syrian Relief Fund in World War l-Era Connecticut,” Connecticut Digital Newspaper Project, Fall 2016.
Fall 2020: HIST 46B: Modern Middle East
Spring 2020: HIST 4C: Modern Europe
Winter 2020: HIST 46A: Premodern Middle East
Fall 2019: HIST 56 – Introduction to Mexican History
Spring 2019: HIST 56 – Introduction to Mexican History
Awards & Professional Activities:
- Orfalea Center Graduate Fellow, Summer 2020
- Borchard European Studies Fellowship, 2020-21
- History Associates Fellowship, Spring 2020
- UCSB History Department Research Travel Award, Summer 2020
- Coptic Studies Congress Conference Travel Award, Summer 2020
- MESA Annual Conference Travel Award, Fall 2019
- Center for Middle East Studies, Research Grant, Summer 2019
- Steven Hay Scholarship Award, Spring 2019
- History Associates Fellowship, Spring 2019
- Center for Middle East Studies Conference Travel Grant, UCSB, Fall 2018
- Yale Center for Race, Indigenous, and Transnational Migration Research Fellowship, Cairo, Summer 2017
- Foreign Languages and Area Studies Fellowship Finalist (FLAS) in Arabic at Yale University, Summer 2017
- Critical Languages Scholarship (CLS) in Arabic at Yale University in Oman, Summer 2017
- Oral History Fellowship,Yale University, Fall 2016
- Foreign Languages and Area Studies Fellowship (FLAS), Arabic Language Institute in Fez, Morocco, Summer 2016