- Quakers in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict (New York and Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2007).
Early efforts by peacemakers in the world’s longest refugee crisis.
- Femmes, Cultures, et Sociétés au Maghreb, 2 vols., coedited with Rahma Bourqia and Mounira Charrad (Casablanca: Afrique Orient, 1996).
- Approaches to the History of the Middle East: Interviews with Leading Historians (Reading: Ithaca Press, 1994; paperback edition, 1996).
- Egypt’s Other Wars: Epidemics and the Politics of Public Health, (Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1990, pp. xiii + 234; paperback edition, Americ
- Medicine and Power in Tunisia, 1780-1900 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1983), pp. xii + 145. Paperback edition, 2002.
Severe epidemics of plague, cholera, and typhus swept across Tunisia between the years 1780 and 1900. The society was galvanized into action: medical practitioners, religious authorities, and political leaders all tried to deal with the deadly crises. Mus
- Writing Women Medical Practitioners into the History of Modern Egypt
- Amnesty International and the Idea of Muslim Women’s Human Rights
- Learning Lessons from the Algerian War of Independence
Compares Palestinian and Algerian national movements
- Arabic Medical Manuscripts at UCLA
Aids and Research Tools in Middle East Studies
- The International Campaign against Gender Apartheid in Afghanistan
- Proseminar on Women and Gender in the Modern Middle East and North Africa (Winter 2008)
Students will read and discuss a wide variety of articles in a course reader and prepare term papers on assigned topics.
- Readings in Modern Middle Eastern and North African History (Spring 2008)
This seminar prepares graduate students for qualifying exams and dissertation research.
Honors and Professional Activities:
- Coeditor, Journal of Middle East Women’s Studies
JMEWS (Journal of Middle East Women’s Studies) is the official publication of the Association for Middle East Women’s Studies, a multidisciplinary, international organization affiliated with the Middle East Studies Association. Its purpose is to advance
- Past-president, Association for Middle East Women’s Studies