- Modern France
I teach courses on France in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and have research interests in French economic history, policy, diplomacy and cultural history.
- Modern Europe
Twentieth century politics, policy, diplomacy, economics and cultural history.
- Economic controls and black markets in Europe during and after World War II.
Main focus on French experience under German Occupation and in the early years of the Fourth Republic.
- Marché Noir: The Economy of Survival in Second World War France (Cambridge University Press, 2023)
- “‘Economic Tyranny’ and Public Anger in France, 1945-1947” Contemporary European History (2022). [https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/contemporary-european-history/article/economic-tyranny-and-public-anger-in-france-19451947/4FB7CC320290C4168F1A0546ABEBF3C9#article]
- “Spearhead Currency: Monetary Sovereignty and the Liberation of France” International History Review 42, no. 2 (2020): 278-297.
- “Capitalism’s Black Heart in Wartime France” in Capitalism’s Hidden Worlds ed. by Kenneth Lipartito and Lisa Jacobson (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2020), 139-156.
- “La capitale de la faim: Black Market Restaurants in Paris 1940-1944″
French Historical Studies 38, no. 2 (2015): 311-341.
- “Black Market Fictions: Au bon beurre, La traversée de Paris and the Black Market in France,”
French Politics, Culture and Society vol. 32, no. 1 (2014): 47-67.
- “Marcel Aymé and the Moral Economy of Penury in Occupied France”
French Historical Studies 34, no. 4 (2011): 713-743.
- “Food Rationing and the Black Market in France, 1940-1944”
French History 24, no. 2 (2010): 262-282.
- “The faux policier in Occupied Paris”
Journal of Contemporary History vol. 45, no. 1 (2010): 95-112. Winner of the Walter Laqueur Prize 2010.
- “Traitors, trafiquants, and the confiscation of ‘illicit profits’ in France, 1944-1950″
co-authored with Fabrice Grenard, Historical Journal 51, no. 4 (2008): 969-990.
- “On vit mal: Food Shortages and Popular Culture in Occupied France, 1940-1944”
co-authored with Paula Schwartz, Food, Politics and Culture 10, no. 2 (2007): 261-295.
- The Gold Standard Illusion: France, the Bank of France and the International Gold Standard, 1914-1939
Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- Crisis and Renewal in France, 1918-1962
Co-edited with Martin S. Alexander New York: Berghahn Books, 2002.
- Managing the Franc Poincaré: Economic Understanding and Political Constraint in French Monetary Policy 1928-1936
New York: Cambridge University Press, 1991; pbk ed. 2002.
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Insight Grant 2013-2017
- German Marshall Fund of the United States Research Fellowship 2006-07
- German Marshall Fund of the United States Research Fellowship 1998-99
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship for University Teachers 1997-98
- Member, School of Historical Studies, The Institute for Advanced Study 1991-93