- United States Feminist Legal History
- United States — Twentieth Century Women’s History
- Cultural and Political Conflict and Public Policy
- Gender Issues in the U.S.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Life
(Alfred A. Knopf, Oct. 16, 2018)
- Women’s America: Refocusing the Past
With Linda K. Kerber, Cornelia Dayton, and Karissa Haugeberg 9th edition, (New York: Oxford University Press,forthcoming 2019)
- Sex, Gender, and the Politics of Sex: A State and a Nation
With Donald G. Mathews, (New York: Oxford University Press, 1990) Winner of the American Political Science Association’s 1991 Victoria Schuck Award
- The Federal Theatre, 1935-1939: Plays, Relief, and Politics
(Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1967)
- American Political Science Association, Victoria Schuck Award, Co-Winner, 1991.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow, 1998-99 and 1975-76.
- National Research Council, Committee for the Study of Research Doctorate Programs in the U.S.. 1993-95.
- Editorial Boards: Journal of Women’s History, Journal of Policy History, American Quarterly, Gender and Culture Series (U of North Carolina Press).
- American Council of Learned Societies, Delegate (from Organization of American Historians), Member of the Executive Board, 1995-99.
- Bicentennial Chair, American Studies, University of Helsinki, 1981-1982.
- American Society for Legal History
- American Historical Association
- Organization of American Historians
- American Political Science Association