When I went to Argentina as a graduate student, I discovered an exotic and complex land I have never been able to escape from. I have written mostly about twentieth century political history, but with a strong awareness of earlier periods. In recent times, I have become interested in Latin America’s external connections, leading to a book in preparation on ties between Argentina and Britain. It’s going well!
- History of Argentina
- History of Latin America
- Empire without Governance: Britons in the Rio de la Plata.
- State Building and Political Movements in Argentina, 1860-1916. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 2002
- (editor of) Latin America in the 1940s. War and Post War Transitions. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994
- Authoritarian Argentina. The Nationalist Movement: Its History and its Impact. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1992
- Argentina, 1516-1987. From Spanish Colonization to Alfonsin. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1987
- Politics in Argentina, 1890-1930. The Rise and Fall of Radicalism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1975